Advantages of egg donation
Having been performed first in the mid-eighties as a part of in vitro fertilization, egg donation became the last hope and chance for childless families. When all other attempts have failed, the family starts contemplating about this option and hesitates a lot since they have to evaluate the pros and cons of this procedure that can be quite mysterious for them. For the donors it’s not an easy decision as well. More and more ivf agencies offer various programs both for potential candidates and intended parents that can puzzle anyone by their diversity.
To reduce the hardship of the decision and to choose the best clinic you should study carefully all the services they provide to take the most benefits. What are the most common advantages for egg donation?
Advantages of egg and sperm donation for donors
Like any other donation, gamete donation can be for-profit and non-profit. In the countries where the commercial donation is not forbidden, the biggest benefit, of course, monetary compensation. But for those donors, who do it altruistically, and are usually either the relatives or close friends of an infertile couple or volunteers who want to help people to attain happiness, the main benefit is psychological satisfaction from their noble act in assisting to the main miracle on the earth: birth of the child. Of course, there can be other advantages that are offered to potential candidates:
- To find out the health condition of the reproductive system and foresee possible fertility issues. It may help egg donors to plan their own family and to consider freezing their own healthy oocytes for the future if the pregnancy is postponed indefinitely;
- To be tested on genetic disorders and to have predictions on the probability of their transfer to the child;
- To be screened on sexually transmitted diseases such as: gonorrhea, trichomoniasis, chancroid, chlamydia, syphilis, HIV, AIDS, herpes, bacterial vaginosis, pelvic inflammatory disease, molluscum contagiosum etc. And it is at agency’s expense.
- To be screened on different infections such as: staphylococcus, streptococcus, cytomegalovirus, toxoplasmosis etc.;
- Anonymity is guaranteed.
The list of additional pros may vary depending on the in vitro clinic, but the above-mentioned services are suggested almost everywhere.
Benefits of egg donation for the intended parents
The advantage for the family is immeasurable: they will be presented with a life-changing opportunity to have their own baby. Especially, when all other methods are useless and this is the one and the only for the woman to become a mother. But there are much more other benefits the couple will receive due to egg donor technology:
- A lot of in vitro infertilization medical centers have a huge donor bank of frozen eggs. Usually donors would like to be anonymous but you can decide on one using her medical records that includes: physical appearance description, IQ level, nationality, education and even star sign. If you don’t want to use frozen oocytes and would like to get to know the egg donor first, the agency may introduce some who agree to meet the intended parents;
- Only healthy eggs and sperm are selected for infertilization so it reduces significantly the risk of embryo development complications;
- The risk of transmitting genetic disorders is minimal since all the egg donors are pre-tested on severe genetic diseases;
- There is no risk of embryo’s bacterial or virus infections.
Even though the price of service is quite high, it worth trying considering all above-mentioned advantages since this is a really effective way to make your dream come true.